Sivut

Friday 16 August 2019

Poldark inspired wool jacket for a doll


Some words and photos about making this jacket.

Wool fabric which I used for the jacket is loosely woven, so I used very tight woven cotton for the lining. As wool jacket with all the seam allowances is quite bulky thing for a doll to wear (even for Diseny Animator doll), I decided that I won't use stays under the jacket. I mean. The doll won't wear stays. But the cotton lining luckily gives a bit 1800th century(ish) posture or profile for the jacket.

 My present assistant, Astrid, has some issues with sewing. As lovely companion and assistant she is, there is this problem that she loves wool. Like. She loves to eat it.

Yes. Nice. Not.

I cutted an other of the back pieces and an other of the front pieces again. I left an other of the back pieces as it was and hoped I can hide the hole (made by wool eating monster) into seam allowance.

I'm still learning totally basics. Like should the short and tiny skirt part of the jacket (or should I call it flounce?) be made from a curve or straigth piece? After tests (made from cheapest felt) I realised that obviously from a curve piece.

I decided to take a risk and attach the skirt-flounce-thingy to the jacket's lining straight from it's raw edge. All kind of folds would have meant too much bulkiness to the waist.


It doesn't look totally neat, but it doesn't look that bad either.


This was my first time working with wool fabric. I was first very nervous, I was sure that it will tear to pieces (well, to yarn) in my hands. But no, it worked so nicely. It was easy to mold and it was overall so very lovely to work with.





No comments:

Post a Comment